Syria: “The worst humanitarian crisis of our time”, UNHCR
We’ve become accustomed to daily news reports of suffering arising from the conflicts in Syria and Iraq. We feel both compassion and confusion, wanting to help but wondering how we can in the face of the enormity of the need.
As part of our response in Grace Church we are partnering with Samara’s Aid Appeal who focus on ‘the relief of suffering through the provision of humanitarian relief including medical aid, and the practical demonstration of God’s love in action’. You can find more details via their website or Facebook page.
We will be organizing a clothing collection during February, but encourage Community groups to consider one of these other appeals during the coming year:
- Baby Care Pack More details
- Pregnancy Care Pack More details
- Family Care Pack More details
- Woman’s Care Pack More details
- Knitting More details
Here is a list of items for our clothing appeal – items must be new or excellent condition (washed, no holes, no stains, working zips etc):
- ALL SEASON CLOTHES, adult, child & baby
- COATS & SNOWEAR, new and used – adult, child & baby
- NEW UNDERWEAR only (no used), with tags or in packaging
- SHOES (polished) in immaculate condition
- BOOTS & WELLY BOOTS, clean, adult/child
- Blankets, sleeping bags, sheets & towels in immaculate condition
- Duvets only if like new with no marks or stains
- Wheelchairs, zimmer frames and crutches (paired)
- Moses baskets and baby bedding
- Disposable nappies, sanitary towels & incontinence pads
- Soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes (unopened)
We will also collect donations towards the transportation costs which are around £5/carrier bag, £10/bin bag and need people to help sort and pack items. To donate money, please either do an online transfer and ensure your reference includes ‘RA’ (Account name: Grace Church Exeter, No: 00011476, Sort: 40-52-40; if you gift aid already, it will be added) or give cash at the table at our Sunday gatherings.
There will be a table at the back of the main meeting hall at our Sunday gatherings with further information and a collection point throughout February. Items can also be taken to the Church Office Tuesday – Friday (please phone ahead 01392 211331).
If you’d like to help or have questions, please feel free to contact any of us on the core team directly or email via email@example.com.
The Refugee Response Core Team
Mike and Ann Banks, Jo Todd, Leslie Tellerain, Amanda Schmid-Scott, Olayinka Oyekola